Mona Lisa Smiles

On my studio wall there is a big drawing of a quirky man with bulging eyes and everyday he stares at me and reminds me that I can draw (sometimes I doubt myself...). He has a very powerful presence - black and white with no wishy-washy inbetween. His features have been distorted (on purpose) giving him one eye which is bigger and blacker than the other - sometimes it reminds me of the black hole in the universe. I did this drawing a long time ago but it has always been one of my favourites. Obviously its not everyone's cup of tea BUT this man has kept his eye on me for a very long time and lately I can almost sense a Mona Lisa smile on his black scratchy face...

Distorted Man in Black (compressed black charcoal on cartridge paper) 
Size: 550 x 750mm

Comments

  1. Looks a bit like David Burns. Ahh your capure is 'Migor' kinda fits don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah he definitely has a weird creepiness to him - but I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you did it in black. To me he looks sad. I should get depressed looking at him every day, but it's a beautiful strong work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how every artwork affects each of us in a different way - its fascinating. I think the black gives him definition and strength - without it he would be fragile.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts