Illustration Friday: Capable

Thought I'd dedicate this weeks challenge to my brother who thought he was capable of everything and anything when he was just a boy (of course, wearing a cape always helped...). I remember spending a lot of time in the waiting room of Emergency at the local hospital! It seemed that he wasn't quite as capable as he thought, especially when it came to being a super hero... (xo DJ)

Capable - even the rubber duck's not sure about this one! Sketched by hand using 2B pencil and then scanned onto the Mac and digitally coloured. Background has sepia filter applied to give it a hot Aussie summer feel - the swing set would literally be burning hot to touch... 

This sketch changed so many times! Here is how it started...
Initial sketches - originally the boy was going to be jumping off a diving board wearing a cape, goggles and snorkle, into an Olympic swimming pool. Then it changed to jumping off a plank of wood on top of a shed and into a wash tub. Finally he had ditched the snorkle and was jumping off the top of the swing set and into a rather small blow up pool! His legs also grew along the way...

For this illustration, I actually drew all the elements separately (due to the fact that I couldn't make up my mind...) and when I was happy with each element, then pieced them together in Photoshop. This saved redrawing the entire thing every time I changed something (which was numerous times!). The finished sketch ended up looking like this...
Finished sketch - composed of 4 separate sketches pieced together in PShop. Have to say that this illo just didn't happen as easily as some others BUT I got there in the end!

Popular Posts